Friday, February 8, 2008

Race or Gender: The REAL Decision 2008???



Much thanks to Garden State Lady for sending me this article that highlights the dilemma that many Black women are finding themselves in when it comes to choosing Obama or Clinton:

http://www.theroot.com/id/44656

Quote: "During the 1950's and 1960's black women willingly subordinated their feminist aspirations for the larger goal of black civil rights."

Quote: "Even today black girls are taught, implicitly or indirectly, to be loyal to family and community first. And many of us see ourselves, above all, as part of the collective black family."

It's funny, as a Black woman today, I can't recall a time where I've ever felt that I was in a situation where the choices that I made were, in effect, putting my race ahead of my needs as a woman. Instead, I think I've often felt that whatever I'm doing for myself or my community as a Black person also speaks to the needs of my sistren at the same time.

Yet, as the author points out, there are apparently a lot of you out there that feel torn. What's up with that? I was on another blog where it was suggested that some Black women are going with Billary due to a deep distrust and dissastifaction with Black men. Yet many of the women I know consistently band together to support Black men (and women) the sake of the community as a whole. When we do this, do our needs as women suffer?

On top of that, what about the fact that a lot of Black women simply don't trust white women and feel that the so-called "feminist" movement has been so dominated by, and served the interests of whites, that it leaves sisters in the dust? Think about it. How many Black female candidates has NOW come out publicly to support?

In the end, I flow like Oprah and say "I am a FREE woman," and who I vote for has nothing to do with favoring or sacrificing the interests of my Black community or my sisters in the struggle, yet everything to do with who I feel will be best for the country as a whole and the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The comments in this article are extremely well delivered. In general, what I find missing from the debate about race vs. gender is the consideration of the candidates' platforms, beliefs and ideas. Personally, I'm not voting to make history; I'm casting my vote because we desperately need to change the course of this country. Through his campaign, Barack has already demonstrated his power to unite diverse groups and his determination to put the power of the government back in the hands of the people. The majority of his contributions have come from regular citizens who want to see a different America. When elected, he will be beholden to the American people -- not corporate donors. Make no mistake, I am extremely excited that we have the potential to elect the first black president; but if it were Clarence Thomas who was up for the nomination, he would not have my vote. Our choices are (or at least they should be) about more than just gender or race.
--Garden State Lady